Thursday, October 8, 2009

Musings on my Birthday, Age 72

I have been thinking a lot today about my Grandmother, Edith Lucinda Bright Ware. Her birthday was October 3, 1886, so she and I always got to celebrate together. She died in April 1963 at age 72. The same age I am now. She did not know how to drive a car. She was very frightened when she accidentally dropped a spoon in my garbage disposal and it wasn't even running at the time. She never saw a computer or a cell phone or even a phone with buttons. She always had a dial phone. I remember staying at her house as a child and we could pick up the phone and hear her neighbors talking. It was a party line. She never saw a microwave oven. I think it would have scared her too.
Jim and I work at the Bishop's Storehouse every Tuesday and we met a woman the other day who did not have a stove. She lives in one room and has no way to cook food so she had to get things that did not require cooking. So many people come in who have nothing. It has been a humbling experience and I have become more thankful for the many blessings that I have.
Back to my Grandma or Gram as we called her. I used to sit on her lap and we would talk about our problems. When I got to big to sit on her lap I sat on the floor and put my head in her lap and we talked about bigger problems. I was a teenager then and of course, I thought I had major problems. Gram was always able to give me good advice and calm my fears. I don't remember all that we talked about but I remember how good it felt to be with her and know that we could talk about anything. She was my BFF. I wish I could be a grandmother like she was. It will be so good to meet her again someday.

1 comment:

Connie said...

I enjoyed reading your memories.
Your grandchildren love you too!